Current business branding trends are not so much about the tactics being used as they are about the mediums being called onto disseminate the messages.
While you can’t ignore branding basics, youcan no longer rely on traditional outlets such as TV, radio and print to getthe job done; you must take into consideration all the new media at your disposal, including blogs, podcasts, mobile phone-based programming, social networks and RSS feeds.
Regardless of the medium chosen for distribution, you must:
- Ensure Your Brand Promise Is Clear. Be simple, direct and consistent.
- Focus On Creating A Well-Conceived Brand Name. Even the cleverest branding strategy will fall flat if the name you seek to brand is poorly conceived.
- Understand The Competition. No one operates in a vacuum. While originality is important, it’s critical to be aware of your competitors’ branding strategies.
- Set branding goals. You can’t very well determine your success if you don’t have a benchmark against which to measure it. Know where you want to go and when you want to get there.
- Remain Committed Yet Flexible. Branding success doesn’t occur overnight; it takes commitment to maintain focus and build loyalty. But that doesn’t mean strategy changes might not be necessary along the way.
What remains most critical in the branding arena is being consistent, especially as the variety of media options continuesto expand. Avoid sending conflicting messages.