Regardless of how small your business venture maybe, it’s essential that you know how to brand your business in order to gain a competitive edge in the marketplace. Your brand is far more than what you do – for example, sell computers – it’s who you are – that is, reliable, affordable, trustworthy and knowledgeable.
Know how to brand your business effectively
Knowing how to create an effective brand strategy can have enormous impact for a small business. Your brand is your promise to your customers. It’s what sets you apart from the competition.
You need to ensure that you, your staff, website, stationery and all marketing materials (including advertising, social media etc) convey the same message – your brand.
A word of advice on how to brand your business
A consistent brand strategy is vital as it dictates how, what, where, when and to whom you plan on communicating your brand messages.
It means that your customers know exactly what to expect from you and your product or service.
Define your brand
In order to be able to define your brand, you need to be able to answer the following questions:
- What is your company’s mission?
- What are the benefits and features of your products or services?
- What do your existing customers think of your company?
- What qualities do you want people to associate with your company?
You may need to do some research before you have answers to all of the above, but once you do, you can start thinking about how to convey your brand message to new and existing customers.
5 Ways to talk about your brand
Once you’ve defined your brand, how do you tell people about it? Here are five ways to communicate your brand messages:
- Pay a professional to develop the perfect logo for your business and use that logo on every single piece of communication that leaves your company.
- Integrate your brand into every aspect of your business.
- Develop a pay-off line that captures the essence of your brand.
- Deliver on your brand promise. And make sure that your employees do the same.
- Be consistent in your use of your brand across all media.
Why do you need to brand your business?
Your brand is so much more than a logo on a letterhead, it’s your company’s entire reputation. A brand can inspire trust and loyalty in existing customers, while at the same time creating an expectation amongst new customers.
A brand refers to the reputation behind your company’s name and logo and is worth far more in money terms than your company’s tangible assets.