If paid maternity leave is not addressed in the contract, the employer is not under any obligation to provide for unpaid or paid maternity leave.
If you have been paying unemployment insurance you can claim from the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF). Workers on maternity leave must apply for benefits at their nearest labour centre in person.
You will need to take with you:
- Your13-digit bar-coded ID or passport;
- Form UI-2.8 for banking details
- Form UI-2.7
- Form UI-2.3 (application form)
- Medical certificate from a doctor or birth certificate of the baby
- Form UI-4 (follow-up form).