Until recently, the remote interview was either a preliminary stage in the selection process or was used to assess a candidate from another city. Or in the case where the profession itself involves remote work.
On a regular basis, this format was practiced by a small number of companies. As a rule, HR-specialists wanted to see a potential employee alive.
But there are more and more companies conducting online interviews – each has its own set of reasons, but COVID-19 makes its contribution. Some large companies have stated that even after the supposed lifting of restrictions, some employees may stay on a remote job.
The online format meets the new security requirements. In addition, by offering a video interview, firms can quickly add new employees by organizing a multi-stage selection process that includes, for example, a group online meeting, a test job and a remote interview. In this way, the induction, like the job itself, can be fully online.
Such forced measures, provoked by coronavirus, self-isolation and quarantines, require a competent approach. Most people have never been interviewed online – even though this may become relevant now. Especially if the past job was lost and the financial situation is not stable.
A remote interview is convenient because there is no need to go anywhere and there is an opportunity to better prepare. And the home environment is more comfortable, which helps reduce emotional stress. But this format has its own features that need to be considered.
While an online interview can be a relaxed experience for the job seeker, the main thing is not to relax too much. It is important to get a working attitude and take care of the technical nuances. Thoroughly work through all the points to make sure everything goes well. This applies even to advanced PC users.
- Check with the company representative in advance how long the interview will take – for this time, you should ask your roommates to leave the room or apartment where the “meeting” will take place;
- To remove animals and noise sources;
- dressed as a face-to-face meeting, it gives confidence and discipline;
- learning the program or application that will be used for the interview – it’s sad when a job seeker can’t attach and send a file on conditional Skype;
- check the name and the avatar – they should be adequate and, if possible, business;
- Check audio and video quality, communication, headset – preferably a test of the equipment in advance;
- check access to the necessary files and prepare examples of work – keep them “at hand”, even if they are on Google Disk;
- take care of the background – he has to be neutral;
- It’s good to prepare a workplace if it’s comfortable and clean;
- to install normal lighting to allow a potential employer to make a positive impression.
It is desirable to be fully prepared 10-15 minutes before the interview. Probably at this time a small correspondence with login exchange will start. It’ll be time to gather your thoughts.
It is recommended that you use a PC rather than a smartphone, as the picture and sound will be more stable. The static camera is not annoying.
Working spirit, the desire to show their competence and experience in the best light – not all components of online interviewing. Of course, politeness is also important. As well as taking into account the specifics of the position and the company.
But don’t forget that the camera and microphone can malfunction, as can communication. In addition, interaction via camera is very different from a face-to-face meeting.
- make a list of questions for a potential employer – the applicant also chooses and has the right to receive information of interest;
- Take advantage of the headset (hands free) to make important notes – better in the notebook, because the sounds of the keyboard can be heard “on the other side”;
- Speak clearly and constructively, do not mumble – the microphone can distort the sounds, and if they are also blurred, it becomes quite uncomfortable;
- Try to look into the camera, stimulating visual contact and feedback – for the same purpose it is desirable to make small pauses in speech;
- do not spill lyrics, as the online format can still be called limiting in this sense – to focus on experience, skills and achievements;
- prepare the water that you will need if the interview is not so short – this is especially true for people who are not used to talking much;
- do not to touch face, do not make a fuss and not fix the hair – not only does it give out uncertainty, so you can also “hang” at the interlocutor on the screen in a strange position if the connection is not perfect.
It’s good if the applicant is at home during the online interview. In a public place, some people lower their voice, trying to attract less attention and not to disturb others. At home, it is possible to prepare thoroughly, and you should take advantage of this.
A responsible approach to remote interviewing will undoubtedly help to make a positive impression on the employer.